Date: Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th July 2023
Time: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Location: British Bangladeshi Fashion Council, Hayloft Point, 6 Middlesex Street, London E1 7EX
Register HERE for tickets
Embark on a weaving journey like no other with Rukia Ullah, a seasoned practitioner, devoted mother, and experienced teacher. Rukia’s upbringing in East London’s vibrant and culturally diverse community has shaped her passion for creativity and inspired her to celebrate identities through her unique designs.
During the pandemic, Rukia’s exploration of weaving became a source of solace and productivity as she spent valuable time at home with her child. Now, she shares her expertise and love for this craft in our weaving workshop. Rukia’s presence ensures a nurturing and fulfilling experience, as she combines her artistic insights with her role as a dedicated mother.
In this workshop, Rukia aims to help participants achieve the following course objectives:
- Gain familiarity with essential weaving tools and materials.
- Explore the properties of different yarns and their applications.
- Develop the skills to create initial design concepts on paper.
- Learn the intricacies of setting up a loom, incorporating rya knots, plain/pile weave techniques.
- Master the art of the soumak weave, adding depth and texture to your creations.
- Experience the beauty of the Rye weave, a versatile and intricate weaving technique.
- Discover the Rye loop weave, a captivating method that adds dimension and visual interest.
- Acquire the knowledge to remove tapestry from the loom efficiently, ensuring a polished finish.
Under the expert guidance of Rukia Ullah, this weaving workshop offers a transformative experience for both beginners and experienced weavers alike. Unleash your creativity, connect with a vibrant community of artisans, and discover the joy of weaving as an expression of art and culture.